Opening Day - Arizona Diamondbacks

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I went to opening day last night at Chase Field where the D-Backs took on the Joe Torre lead Dodgers of Los Angeles. The D-Backs lit up the new HD scoreboard (seriously, this thing is rediculuos) with a 9-3 victory. The top of the stadium was open, perfect weather, four f-16 pre-game flyover, delicious italian sausage, 4 home runs by the D-backs - what more could you ask for? A baseball poem? Okay, here you go...

I arose in a time of turmoil, when men were traded like horses
I have witnessed enemies become friends, and friends become enemies
I've noticed winners with tears of joy
And I have seen losers with looks of grief and despair
Still young at the turn of this century
I bared eyes on the horseless carriage and the flight at Kittyhawk
I gave life and a name to an orphan who became a sultan
Then I granted him an Ironhorse too
I was devastated when eight men compromised their childhood dreams
I chipped a tooth on one of the toughest Georgia peach's known
I survived both world wars and any other my homeland has faced
I've been both beat up and pampered
I have seen children grow and mature under my wing
I saw a miracle that shocked my followers in a summer of love
Spahn and Sain pray for rain and the triumph of Coogan's Bluff,
I was a handyman with a trusting hammer, I called Hank
A few times in my life I've been perfect, and fell short on many others
There have been many tragedies in my life including depression and a strike
People have seen me on T.V., in person, and even on the radio
Children are put to bed with stories I was author to
I am a bond of greatness, between father and son
A splendid splinter in the working thumb of America
I have seen lots of changes, but I, myself, have not
I love my followers as they love me
And thats why I will always be A Nation's Constant


Nation's Constant by Michael Steven Richards

3 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

Yea for baseball season!

Tyler said...

more poems please...

Amanda & Aaron said...

One poem per year, that's all I can stomach.