Jump Up and Down Cuz That's the 311 Style

Friday, June 27, 2008

One of my favorite all time bands on this planet Earth, if not THE favorite, is 311 (pronounced: three eleven). And as you can tell from the last entry I am a rather nostalgic person. I was introduced to 311 my freshman year at BYU by my friend Tony Davis. Tony was from Mission Viejo, CA and had a CD from a new group called 311. That summer we wore the CD out and I've been hooked ever since. Since then I have seen them several times in concert (Park City, Salt Lake, Mesa, Phoenix (2), Lauderdale, VA, MD, etc.). Their contemplative message of unity, peace, and positivity delivered with such force has always been energizing to listen to. (Check out Speak Easy --->) In fact, one of our kids' favorite songs is the "Reggae Got Soul" cover that 311 performed for the "Surfs Up" soundtrack.


Well, on Tuesday 311 played at the Dodge Theater in Phoenix. Amanda and I and some friends decided to act as though we weren't as old as we really are and attended the concert. 311's live shows are a high energy, loud, fun, artistic display of an eclectic music style that includes rock, punk, reggae, and funk - and this show was no different. We had a great time. We are getting older so the assigned seating (as opposed to a general admission moshpit) suited us well. Oh yeah, and it never hurts to have some Dee Oh Double Gizzle on the side.


Words to live by...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish we lived close to you guys...can't wait to see you soon!

C4 McKendrick said...

I forgot to mention that my neighbor is the photographer for 311 and has toured with them often. I never thought I'd find a fan that was as diehard as he is, but I was wrong. I'll keep you in mind if he ever runs into some--I don't know--backstage passes or something in a venue near you.

-Calvin